Van Wyck-Lefferts Tide Mill
Southdown Road, Lloyd Harbor
The Nature Conservancy
2 mi. NE of Mill and Southdown Roads.
Here is a tide mill. It is the only one of a remaining handful of similar East Coast structures that's on its original site complete with its wooden gear works.
1793-1797 -- built on the edge of Huntington Harbor by Abraham Van Wyck
1798 -- sold to Samuel and Henry Lefferts. They held it for seven decades.
Since the mill got its power from tidewater receding from the mill pond, grain could only be ground twice a day (five hours each time). It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It is only accessible to the public by boat. The Nature Conservancy, which owns the mill, offers free boat tours to the site from May through October. Reservations are required; call 516-367-3225.