Township of Harding Township
Morris County, New Jersey
part of the Great Swamp watershed.. 30% of its land still undeveloped. On the west and south, Harding includes most of Great Swamp Wildlife Refuge.
pre-colonial times – the Lenape Indians lived in the area.
1727 – John Lindsley acquired 1,250 acres of land in the future Harding Township.
Lord Stirling had an elegant Georgian manor built on the edge of the swamp. (It can be visited now.)
1779 (winter) – George Washington's troops were housed at Jockey Hollow (now part of the Morris Historical National Park).
c.1800 – in New Vernon, the Tunis Ellicks farm house built.
1922 – separating from Passaic Township, Harding Township was one of the last
municipalities formed in Morris County. The township was named after President
1960 – establishment of the about 7,500 Great Swamp, a Registered National Natural Landmark.
Today – population of 3200.