History of Sparta Township
Sussex County, New Jersey
Hamlets of Sparta:
late 1600s -- Sparta settled by the Dutch and then the English. French Huguenots came later.
1845 -- Sparta Township established from lands in Byram, Frankford, Hardyston, and Newton Townships.
19th century -- Monroe hamlet was thriving with a store, post office, school, gristmill and creamery. The hamlet also had a station on the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway.
1889 -- Thomas Alva Edison decided to start a business of using magnets to pull out iron ore from crushed rock. He decided to buy 2,250 acres on Sparta Mountain near the village of Ogdensburg.
1891 -- the Edison operations began. The works were atop Sparta Mountain and employed some 400 men.
1890s -- the Walnut Terrace was one of 10 hotels, all of them close to the New York, Susquehanna & Western station, built in the middle of the village of Sparta.
1892 -- Minerva Roe established a large tourist inn in the middle of Sparta that could accommodate 40 guests.
1893 -- iron ore production halted by a national financial panic.
1896 -- production of iron ore resumed.
1900 -- Edison formally closed down the concentrating plant. He had lost millions of dollars.
beginning of the 20th century -- Thomas Edison opened the Limestone Products quarry on the Sparta-Lafayette Township border.
beginning of the 20th century -- just one of 25, the Everett House was one of the largest hotels in Sparta.
1941 -- the Everett House experienced a drop in visitors with the onset of World War II.
1942 -- the Everett House complex was torn down.
1906 -- J. R. Davenport was the proprietor of the Lake View House (complete with a view of Morris Lake) on Glenn Road opposite the intersection with Morris Lake Road. (The structure is now an apartment building.)
1911 postcard -- shows the stone blacksmith shop on Mill Road (now Station Road) in Sparta. The building is now used by a water-purification company.
1926 -- the Arthur D. Crane Company began developing Lake Mohawk. They created the 900-acre Lake Mohawk by damming the Wallkill River.
1928 & 1929 -- the clubhouse and boardwalk built for Lake Mohawk.
(Source: Wayne T. McCabe. 2003. Images of America: Sussex County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Press.)